Xiao Long Bao is Shanghai’s most famous style of soup dumplings. Learn how to make this delicious recipe!
🥢BUY MY WOK
USA – https://amzn.to/39iHIWd
CANADA – https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07RJ39JVL
AUSTRALIA – https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07RJ39JVL
EU (Just Launched!!) – https://soupeduprecipes.com/carbon-steel-wok-with-flat-bottom/
Rest of the World (including UK) – https://forms.gle/r2YBBgtZbCejToVk8
🥢PRINTABLE RECIPE – https://soupeduprecipes.com/xiao-long-bao/
🥢MY AMAZON INFLUENCER/AFFILIATE PAGE – https://www.amazon.com/shop/influencer-078efbf8 (I share ingredients and recommended products there)
🥢SUPPORT ME ON PATREON – https://www.patreon.com/soupeduprecipes
🥢RECIPE – Note: The product links below are affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you purchase an item on a linked website within 24 hours.
**FOR THE JELLY:**
– 400 g of pork skin [400克猪皮]
– a bunch of spring onion [1小把香葱]
– Some slices of ginger [几片姜片]
– 1 tbsp of Chinese cooking wine [1汤匙料酒] [Shaohsing Rice Cooking Wine: https://amzn.to/2RW4KWG]
– 2 tsp of sugar
– 1 tsp of white pepper [1茶匙白胡椒粉] [Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/2C9Mp3H]
– 1 tsp of salt or to taste [1茶匙盐]
**FOR THE FILLING:**
– 200 g ground pork
– 1/4 cup of green part of spring onion
– 1/4 cup of minced carrot [1/4杯胡萝卜末]
– 1/4 cup of minced cabbage [1/4杯白菜碎]
– 1 tsp of dark soy sauce [1茶匙老抽]
– 1 tsp of white sugar [1茶匙白糖]
– 1 tsp of sesame oil [1茶匙芝麻油]
– 1/2 tsp of salt or to taste [1/2茶匙盐] [Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/2QHNnw7]
– 1/8 cup of white part of spring onion [1/ 8杯葱白]
– 4 slices of ginger [4片姜]
– 3 tbsp of water [3汤匙水]
**FOR THE WRAPS:**
– 1/2 tsp of salt [1/2茶匙盐]
– 200 g high protein flour [200克高筋粉]
– 85 – 100 ml warm water [85 – 100 毫升水]
Sorry for the different water amount, after many times making I find out with this amount of water, the skin turns out better.
**FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE:**
– some shredded fresh ginger [适量姜丝]
– 1 tablespoons of white vinegar [1汤匙白醋]
– 1 teaspoon of soy sauce [1茶匙生抽]
**MAKING THE JELLY **
– Blanch the skin for 5 minutes to remove the bad smell. Remove the attaching fat. Cut it into thin strips.
– Prepare a pot of water (1.8 L of water). Put in the pork skin. Bring it to a boil and then down to low heat. Stew it for 1 hour.
– After 1 hour, add a bunch of spring onion, some slices of ginger, a tbsp of Chinese cooking wine, 2 tsp of sugar, a tsp of white pepper, and a tsp of salt. Keep stewing on low heat for another hour.
– Strain the broth into a container. You should have about 400 ml broth left. Put it in the fridge for at least 6 hours. The skin has a lot of collagen, which dissolves in the water during stewing. When the temperature goes down, it turns into a jelly.
– Carefully mince the jelly. Make sure there are not big chunks.
– Set it aside.
**MAKING THE FILLING (enough to make 25-30 dumplings)**
– Use some white part of the spring onion and ginger to make a sauce. Blend them with 3 tablespoons of water. Strain it.
– Pour the sauce into the ground pork.
– Add white sugar,dark soy sauce, sesame oil, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
– Stir it until the pork absorbs all the sauce. Add the vegetables into the meat. And Combine them. You can switch it with other vegetables like water chestnut or radish.
– Last step is to mix it with the minced jelly.
**MAKE THE DUMPLING WRAPS**
– you need about 200 g of high protein flour.
– Add a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and mix it well.
– Pour warm water in 3 parts.and mix the flour
– Knead the dough until smooth.
– Cover it and let it sit for 30 minutes.
– Knead the dough again for 5-10 minutes, to squeeze the air out.
– Cover it; let it sit for another 30 minutes.
– Cut the dough in half. Roll and Pull it into a long even strip.
– Cut it into small pieces. Turn it after every cut to get even pieces. Each one should be about 12 grams.
– Sprinkle some flour in case they stick to each other.
– Flatten them with your hand.
– Roll it into a small round wrapper with thick middle and thin edge. The size should be about 8-10cm long across.
**CLOSE THE DUMPLINGS**
This is the most important step to make them look great.
– Take a wrap and put enough meat so it’s almost full. I put a little bit more than a tbsp.
– Lift one part of the edge and pinch it to make a pleat. Continue all the way around.
– At the end, pinch it together to close the dumpling.
Normally, each dumpling should have 10-12 pleats in total. Don’t worry too much about this your first time- it will take some practice to make it look perfect.
(YOU SHOULD DO THIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AFTER CLOSING THE DUMPLINGS)
– Put parchment paper in the steamer
– Leave some space between the xiao long bao,
– Bring the water to a boil, then put the steamer in and let it steam it for 5 minutes on high heat.
Some shredded fresh ginger
1 tablespoons of white vinegar
1 teaspoon of soy sauce .