Pork belly slices with garlic sauce, it is my all-time favorite Sichuan food. Every piece of meat is thinly sliced and coated with that savory garlic sauce, so flavorful and garlicky.
🥢BUY MY WOK
USA – https://amzn.to/39iHIWd (Flash sale, order soon!)
CANADA – https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07RJ39JVL
AUSTRALIA – https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07RJ39JVL
EU (including UK) – https://soupeduprecipes.com/carbon-steel-wok-with-flat-bottom/ (Note: Amazon pay is not suitable for EUR orders. Please use stripe to pay.)
Rest of the World – https://forms.gle/r2YBBgtZbCejToVk8
🥢PRINTABLE RECIPE – https://soupeduprecipes.com/sliced-pork-belly/
🥢MY AMAZON INFLUENCER/AFFILIATE PAGE – https://www.amazon.com/shop/influencer-078efbf8 (I share ingredients and recommended products there)
🥢SUPPORT ME ON PATREON – https://www.patreon.com/soupeduprecipes
🥢RECIPE – Note: The product links below are affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you purchase an item on a linked website within 24 hours.
Ingredients to cook the pork
– 1 piece of pork belly (1.2 pounds)
– 5 slices of ginger
– 8 cloves of garlic
– 2 pieces of scallion
– 2 pieces of bay leaves [Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/2El97qH]
– 1 piece of star anise [Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/2rAfRcL]
– 1 small stick of cinnamon [Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/2VJccHF]
– 1/2 tbsp of Sichuan peppercorn [Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/2QQzhbA]
– 1/4 cup of Chinese cooking wine [Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/2RW4KWG]
– 2 liters of water
Ingredients for the Sichuan sweet soy sauce
– 1 cup of regular light soy sauce [Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/34xlqvz]
– 1/3 cup of brown sugar [Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/2FJQ6xw]
– 1/4 cup of water
– 3 slices of ginger
– a bunch of scallions
– 1 star anise
– 1 small stick of cinnamon
– 1/2 of a black cardamon [Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/2VHiYxw]
– 1 piece of bay leave
– 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds [Amazon link: https://amzn.to/2Eun3zU]
– 1/2 tbsp of Sichuan peppercorn
Ingredients for the sauce
– 15-18 cloves of garlic [Buy the Magic bullet That I Used in The Video: https://amzn.to/2HXNtvs]
– 3/8 tsp of salt
– 2.5 tbsp of water
– 1.5 tbsp of the Sichuan sweet soy sauce
– 1 tbsp of regular light soy sauce
– 4 tbsp of homemade Sichuan hot chili oil (recipe link：https://youtu.be/YvN5zYtxxXY)
– cucumber shreds
– diced cilantro
– Cook the pork belly in a seasoned liquid: – 5 slices of ginger, 8 cloves of garlic, 2 pieces of scallion, 2 pieces of bay leaves, 1 small stick of cinnamon, 1 piece of star anise, 1/2 tbsp of Sichuan peppercorn, 1/4 cup of Chinese cooking wine, 2 liters of water. Cover it and bring this to a boil. Then turn the heat to low. Simmer it for 40 minutes.
– At the same time, we can make 复制酱油, which is a Sichuan style sweet soy sauce.
– You will need 1 cup of light soy sauce, 1/3 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cup of water, 3 slices of ginger, a bunch of scallion, 1 star anise, 1 small stick of cinnamon, 1/2 of a black cardamom, 1 piece of bay leave, 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds, 1/2 tbsp of Sichuan peppercorn. Bring this to a boil. Turn the heat to low and simmer the soy sauce without the lid for 20 minutes. We want to slowly reduce the liquid to half. Take out the spices. You should have about 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp of liquid. You don’t need to measure it exactly, just eyeball it. Or you can tilt the pot and the sweet soy sauce should be thick enough to attach a thin layer of soy sauce at the bottom of the pot. Store this in a sealed container. It will stay good for 6 months at room temperature.
– Now let me show you how to use this sweet soy sauce to make the garlic sauce. You will need 15-18 cloves of garlic. Put them in the blender, add 3/8 tsp of salt and 2.5 tbsp of water. Blend them into a thick puree. The water amount is very little, you might need to shake the blender to get all the garlic pieces. To the garlic puree, add 1.5 tbsp of the sweet soy sauce that we made, 1 tbsp of regular light soy sauce, about 4 tbsp of hot chili oil. You can definitely adjust the heat level to your own preference. 4 tbsp if my limited. Just mix the sauce until everything is well combined. If you want, You can add some Sichuan peppercorn powder but in this dish, the garlic is the star, you don’t want other spices to take over the flavor.
– Let’s take a look of the pork. It should be tender enough to let the chopsticks poke through easily. You don’t want to cook it too long or else the pork will be too tender. Take it out and let it cool down for 30 minutes. Then slice it thinly. If the pork is too tender, you won’t be able to slice it as thin as you want because the meat will break apart, which affects the final presentation but doesn’t affect the flavor.
– Place some cucumber shreds in the middle of the plate, put the pork slice over it in a line, nicely. Top some cilantro and sauce. .